22. My grandmother disowned me for about an hour and a half when I told her that we were adopting Roo, who is biracial.
23. I’ve always wanted to be an adoptive parent.
24. I never thought I would adopt a white baby.
25. I figured my babies would have a dad.
26. Instead they will have 3 moms and a dad.
27. I met my wife at a party.
28. The first conversation we ever had was about how on earth anyone ever meets anyone at a party.
29. We got married 4 years later.
30. I’m not a huge believer in marriage.
31. I do believe in rights, though.
32. I also believe in our relationship.
33. Every single day.
34. We had a little ceremony all by ourselves with no witnesses and then had a wedding 3 months later.
35. I’m glad we did it this way.
36. I loved our wedding.
37. I would never plan another wedding in a million years.
38. One of my favorite things about our wedding was having our whole community-by-choice there.
39. My life is pretty much defined by a constant search for community.
40. For about a year when I was 22 I had exactly the kind of community I wanted.
41. I’ve been trying to recreate it ever since.
42. I think it has something to do with being an only child.
43. I would never (by choice) have only one child.
44. Five years ago my father almost died.
45. When he was sick I couldn’t believe how small my family felt.
46. He almost died because he’s an alcoholic.
47. We didn’t know it until then.
48. I have a great relationship with him still, but a different kind than we had before that.
49. I have a great relationship with my mom too, but it’s more complicated in that mother-daughter kind of complicated way.