On a 40-seater plane on the runway in Cincinnati, Saturday night after Thanksgiving, with airport and plane sufficiently mobbed and overheated, Roo in my lap flirting with everyone around us between short lapses into sobbing, I-don’t-want-to-sit-still-anymore toddler tantrums, the flight attendant turns to the teenage boy across the aisle from us and says:
Well, that’s certainly a good argument to use birth control, isn’t it?
Originally uploaded by Roundisfunny1
This little guy is a replica of a hippo that was displayed at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York in 2002. In the fall of 2007 he showed up in the mud at low tide in the tidal creek by my cousins’ house about an hour from Savannah, Georgia.
If he could talk, I feel like he would have an amazing story to tell.
Preparation time: 4-5 hours
- Two moms, including one fearful flyer with relaxation meditation guide pre-loaded on iPod and bottle of atavan in carry-on bag
- One toddler with off-switch removed
- One bottle Benadryl, used in conjunction with above ingredient only if moms reach breaking point
- One airplane pointed South, ideally without a single empty seat
- One heaping bag full of toys and books, each for use for approximately 180 seconds
To make: Beginning at the crack of dawn, combine all ingredients. If desired, add crabby passengers, overworked airport personnel, and some really terrible coffee. Repeat entire process in reverse 3 days later.
Recovery time: Undetermined as of yet. Unscientific data has shown that pumpkin pie eaten standing up on a Friday morning may speed recovery.